The most common of all headache types, affecting up to three quarters of all people at some stage is the tension-type headache. Other primary headaches include:
- New daily persistent headache (NDPH)
- Primary cough headache
- Primary exertional headache
- Primary thunderclap headache
- Primary headache associated with sexual activity
- Medication overuse/rebound headache
Other benign and relatively common headaches include those induced by food (including nitrates, sulphites, aspartame, MSG etc.) and by excessive alcohol consumption (the 'hangover' headache).