We have been advised by the NHS National Patient Safety Group to remind you of safe usage of oxygen during any power cuts, which are likely to happen this winter.
DO NOT USE CANDLES OR ANY NAKED FLAME DURING POWER CUTS.
Oxygen is absorbed into the skin and clothing and even if you have stopped using the oxygen, you are still at risk after switching it off, even if you go into another room. We suggest that you keep a torch and spare batteries near your oxygen cylinder and equipment, or a battery powered lantern, in case of a power cut.
Your oxygen supplier will be contacting you with a similar message and may have already done so.
We are fortunate that the oxygen therapy used in CH, does not involve any electrical connections, as with a concentrator or nebuliser, but we must remember that candle flames, oil burners, even incense burners can all be an ignition risk when we are using 02.