OUCH(UK) Organisation for the Understanding of Cluster Headache

Donate

Advice Line

0800 6696 824

SAFE OXYGEN USE DURING POWER CUTS

1 post / 0 new
#1 Tue, 13/12/2022 - 12:24
Val
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 21/03/2012 - 15:16

SAFE OXYGEN USE DURING POWER CUTS

 

OXYGEN SAFETY IN POWER CUTS

We have been advised by the NHS National Patient Safety Group to remind you of safe usage of oxygen during any power cuts, which are likely to happen this winter.

DO NOT USE CANDLES OR ANY NAKED FLAME DURING POWER CUTS.

Oxygen is absorbed into the skin and clothing and even if you have stopped using the oxygen, you are still at risk after switching it off, even if you go into another room. We suggest that you keep a torch and spare batteries near your oxygen cylinder and equipment, or a battery powered lantern, in case of a power cut.

Your oxygen supplier will be contacting you with a similar message and may have already done so.

We are fortunate that the oxygen therapy used in CH, does not involve any electrical connections, as with a concentrator or nebuliser, but we must remember that candle flames, oil burners, even incense burners can all be an ignition risk when we are using 02.

Take care, keep safe and Merry Christmas to you all.

From the Board of Trustees of OUCH (UK).

 

Login to add comments

Share This

© OUCH(uk) 2023 | email: info@ouchuk.org
Registered Charity No. 1091919 | Registered in England Company No. 04339368